Does Policy blocking/deny huge traffic cause High CPU utilization

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Does Policy blocking/deny huge traffic cause High CPU utilization

L2 Linker

I have a PAN 200 at sales office, I have temp deny policy in place as I saw huge traffic (Genetec Traffic) from/to a specific destination/source.

But I still see High CPU causing the Firewall to Reboot and which triggered Site Down Alerts( Downstream device lost connection).

Does the Deny Policy for huge traffic (Number of Packets or Size of traffic) cause CPU Utilization by any means?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

@sandeep.paul,

You can not specify IPs in Zone Protection, that would be a DoS policy configuration instead of Zone Protection policy. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Community Team Member

Hi @sandeep.paul,

In short, yes it does.

It's far less CPU consuming to block the traffic before checking policy. 

For example with zone-protection or dos-protection.

Cheers,

-Kiwi.

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Thanks Kiwi, is it documented anywhere. Please let me know if you have any link.

You mean zone protection will not have traffic going through the policy?

@sandeep.paul,

I'm not sure if it's directly documented everywhere. Just from a get go through the processing goes in different steps, so zone protection and DOS policies are monitored prior to the secuirty policies when you look at how the traffic is actually processed. The quicker you can have your firewall drop any traffic that would get denied the better from a processing standpoint. 

If you have a large amount of traffic (lets say a DoS attack) that sits there and hammers a deny rule within your security policies, it would be much better from a processing standpoint to have that traffic get blocked by a DoS profile or a zone protection profile then actually making it to the security policy, as it has to process far fewer things in that scenario. 

FYI DoS mitigation in Zone Protection uses less resources than DoS Protection policy.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

Thanks Raido,

Let's say specific IP traffic to be mitigated through Zone protection, can we do it on PA?

@sandeep.paul,

You can not specify IPs in Zone Protection, that would be a DoS policy configuration instead of Zone Protection policy. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!