internal routing being blocked

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

internal routing being blocked

L1 Bithead

I'm having an issues with some internal routing I have two virtual router that have statics routes for an internal phone network on a different router in my trusted zone I can ping from computers in my lan but when i try and access any websites or management tools it doesn't work if I add a persistent route on the desktops it start to work but when i remove it it goes back to acting strangeDrawing2.png

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

I would advise against disabling this behavior. 

There are only a few choices with what you can do.

- Put static routes on every machine on 192.168.4.0

- Make 192.168.4.8 the default gateway for that network, making sure that router has a default route to .1

- Move 192.168.10.0 to a spot where traffic has to cross the firewall to reach it. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

L5 Sessionator

It's sounds like asymetric routing but I'll need some clarification on things. ICMP will work asymmetric but traffic needing a three-way handshake won't. The firewall needs to see the entire flow or it will drop traffic.

Can you reference the drawing you included to explain what does and doesn't work? I can't tell what's trying to access what.

I'm trying to get clients from the 192.168.4.x network to access clients in the 192.168.10.x network but it only work when i add persistent routes to the client in the 192.168.4.x network

So when you add the static route on the clients, you point 192.168.10.0 to 192.168.4.8?

Does the Palo Alto have a route for 192.168.10.0 that points to 192.168.4.8?

yes my virtual router has a static route of 192.168.10.0/24 to 192.168.4.8

Then the problem is asymmetry.

Here's an example of traffic flow without the static route on a client:

192.168.4.100 sends a syn to 192.168.10.100. This goes to the PA, which then sends it to the router at 192.168.4.8

192.168.10.100 sends a syn-ack to 192.168.4.100. This goes to the router at 192.168.10.1, which then sends this directly to the client without passing through the PA. 

192.168.4.100 sends an ack to 192.168.10.100, which then goes to the PA. The PA did not see the syn-ack so it drops the traffic. 

When ICMP works but tcp traffic fails, it's generally asymmetric routing.

By adding the static route, all traffic bypasses the PA so it will work.

now how would i go about fixing that generally its better to add routes the the default gateways if i'm not mistaken correct? I looked up asymetric routing and it seems that disabling the protection on the firewall is generally not recommended

I would advise against disabling this behavior. 

There are only a few choices with what you can do.

- Put static routes on every machine on 192.168.4.0

- Make 192.168.4.8 the default gateway for that network, making sure that router has a default route to .1

- Move 192.168.10.0 to a spot where traffic has to cross the firewall to reach it. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!