Is Azure’s infrastructure safe and secure?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Is Azure’s infrastructure safe and secure?

L0 Member

I am looking for Azure training  to become a certified professional from one of the leading online earning platform as recommended by one of my friends. Before that I was looking on the internet for some facts like azure security. Many customers have seen that safeguarding their data center infrastructure will require massive amounts of money and investment. Given the difficulties of attracting security experts to ensure the security of their infrastructure, there's no way to get any guarantee of a return on the investment. To remain competitive with the ever-changing security environment, it is essential to safeguard their infrastructure while making their costs less costly and reducing the complexity. Is Azure uniquely positioned to address these issues?

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

A very valid question for any cloud provider. Its one of those things we have to 'trust'. But remember anything in the cloud, you lose layers 1 and 2. Cant say for sure if they are sniffing your data or scanning it etc.

Regards,

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

I don't personally believe that utilizing Azure, AWS, GCP, or any other cloud vendor suddenly means that organizations don't have to worry about security. While the cloud vendors secure their own infrastructure, they don't automatically secure deployed services or VMs that you build using their services. You still need to have folks ensuring that developers and administrators are building things securely and properly securing utilized services. 

You see this a lot with data storage and databases being published on cloud vendors without the proper security in place leading to data exposure. That's really just an example though, at the end of the day the cloud vendors will still let you make things as secure, or insecure, as you "need". They aren't there to actually safeguard what you deploy, they simply provide the infrastructure that you can use to build services. 

If anything, I actually think that a lot of organizations that have historically been utilizing datacenters instead of cloud services actually require larger security teams to match the security they used to have on-site. One of the benefits of the old datacenter model was clearly defined DMZs and not having services public by default. Now organizations are deploying things publicly by default when using cloud vendors, don't necessarily have clearly defined VNets, and don't automatically have things firewall'd off as soon as they've deployed things unless they setup policies properly. Add in the fact that you now have developers deploying resources without necessarily having administrators do it for them and you pretty quickly need more "eyeballs" from a security standpoint. 

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!