Problem connecting SSH

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Problem connecting SSH

L4 Transporter

I have a vpn configured (PA<->PA) to manage my FWs.

The problem is that when I open a ssh to the FW ip LAN (10.105.0.7), session ssh runs successfully and I can connect to the FW. But if I open ssh to the management ip 10.98.200.16 ssh remains frozen.

Looking at the log monitor, when i try the LAN ip i can see how the PA recognise the Application SSH, but trying with the management ip the FW is not recognising correctly and it shows INCOMPLETE.

Looking also at session browser when I run ssh session to the LAN ip, FW is not applying a Qos policy but is i try with management IP the FW is applying a Qos rule when it shouldnt do it.

Why this strange behavior between ssh in LAN ip and management IP.

I attached all the tests.

VPN rules.jpg

MonitorLogVPN.jpg

Session working.jpg

Session not working.jpg

Qos rule.jpg

29 REPLIES 29

HI COS,

It  seems Management interface has not even seen SYN Packet. It proves SYN is dropped on Data plane.

Did you see any drop packet in capture, if NO than final thing is to do flow basics.

Follow bellow instructions for flow basics, if its not used with care than it can crash firewall. Let me know for any question.

Packet Capture, Debug Flow-basic and Counter Commands

Regards,

Hardik Shah

L5 Sessionator

Hi COS

Could you please verify if there are any set permitted IP addresses defined under management interface settings?

permitted_ip.JPG

And if the source IP from which you are doing SSH is in that permit IP address list ?

Hope it helps !

Thanks

Yes, the ip 172.16.33.132 is allowed.

interfaces allowed.jpg

Ill do this debug tomorrow. Please confirm this config (filter), it could crash using this short filter????

• debug dataplane packet-diag set filter on
  • debug dataplane packet-diag set filter match source 172.16.33.132 destination 10.98.200.16

• debug dataplane packet-diag set log feature flow basic
    debug dataplane packet-diag set log on

Hi COS,

NOTE: I strongly encourage to contact TAC for flow basics, unless you are confortable.

Debug appears good to me. Make sure you disable logging once you try to access firewall. Use following command for it.

debug dataplane packet-diag set log off

Following command to view output of flow basics.

less dp0-log pan_packet_diag.log

Then following commands to disable everything

debug dataplane packet-diag set log off

debug dataplane packet-diag set filter off

debug dataplane packet-diag clear log log

Refer following guide for details.

Packet Based Troubleshooting - Configuring Packet Captures and Debug Logs

Regards,

Hardik Shah

Hello COS,

Only for routing info, mgmt interface has the default gateway, but service route is for firewall services. For mgmt access, the mgmt interface will have to respond which will only happen if there is a default gateway. You have 2 options here.

For example: Option-1

If you want to keep Mgmt and physical interface in the same broadcast domain:

Mgmt interface IP-1.1.1.1/24

Data-plane Ethernet interface IP- 1.1.1.2/24

SSH-service route-1.jpg

For example: Option-2

If you want to keep Mgmt and physical interface in 2 different broadcast domain:

Mgmt interface IP-2.2.2.1/24   Default gateway- R1(2.2.2.2)

Data-plane Ethernet interface IP- 1.1.1.2/24  Default gateway- R1 (1.1.1.2)

SSH-service route.jpg

Thanks

Hello Hardik,

Try to understand the flow of the packet here. The packet is received in PAN FW's data-plane interface and sending directly to the mgmt interface IP. How could the mgmt interface will send back the response..?  service route is for firewall services not for SSH. We need to have a L-2 loop if both Mgmt and data-plane interfaces are belongs same broadcast domain else, need to re route the traffic through a L-3 device.

You may test this, if you have bandwidth.

Thanks

Hi HULK,

I didnt find any info which confirms its a L2 loop. If its L2 loop than atleast SYN/ACK should have been seen on the management interface.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

Hello Hardik,

It's not a L-2 loop, but you have to create a loop to make it work. Why the management interface will respond to it's data-plane traffic....? service route is for firewall services not for SSH.

Thanks

I think you might be right. All I wanted was to do flow basics to find out root cause for drop packets. Thats worth testing.

I didnt realize that MAnagement and Data port are in same LAN.

Yes, but if it was a routing problem the management ip would not respond to ping. I can ping the management inteface and do a trcert succesfull.

ping.jpg

tracert.jpg

Hello COS,

Yes, you are correct. You do not have any routing problem here. Since, the firewall will not be able to send SSH packets from a data-plane interface to management interface directly. Ping and traceroute ( both uses ICMP) is part of firewall service to reach managaement plane through a service route. But for SSH, web-browsing etc, you have to apply above mentioned Option-1 or Option-2.

Thanks

Yes.

In the LAN eth1/22.250 is configured OSPF and the FW s sending the traffic to 10.98.200.16 throguh this interface by OSPF.

net.jpg

I think OSPF routers should know how to arrive to the management ip (10.98.200.16), because 10.98.200.0/24 is running over OSPF.

what do you recomend me to do??

Hello COS,

Do you have a Layer-3 device in place. So, you can re-route all packets for destination: 10.98.200.16 to a L-3 device and that device will send to the management interface of the PAN firewall through an another connected interface ( Layer-3 device to Mangement Interface).

Thanks.

Its my client´s network i only give support to FW Palo Alto, i dont know exactly what is behing PA in the client side. I am guided by Palo Alto config.

I suppose its something like this. OSPF speaking between L3 devices. i suppose in this case R1 and R2 should speaking OSPF to reach IP 10.98.200.16 to the MGMT interface.

paint.jpg

Hello COS,

You are absolutely correct. You may use a single L-3 device i.e R-1 and connect ethernet-1/22.250 in one interface (10.105.0.11)and mgmt in another interface (10.98..200.1). You can use any routing protocol, since static will be easierSmiley Happy.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

• 29 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!