RDP with Gprotect time out

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

RDP with Gprotect time out

L4 Transporter

HI,

We are establishing RDP sessions through Globalprotect. These RDP sessions are closed, we went into this link: https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/70/pan-os/newfeaturesguide/globalprotect-features/rdp...

We changed this value for "User Switch Tunnel Rename Timeout" to the maximum permitted (600 seconds), but its not enough. We would like to have unlimited time for RDP. How can configure this???

5 REPLIES 5

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

That grace peiord is the amount of time that the tunnel stays up when someone RDPs into a computer, failing to authenticate with GP before the grace period has expired causes the RDP session to be dropped.

Your users will need to auth with the gateway once they login to actually maintain the session. If you fail to auth with the gateway then rightfully the RDP will terminate because you have missed the grace period authentication timeout, since GP knows that the RDP user is not the user allocated to that tunnel. 

OK, perfect, but how can i configure this???

We have configured agent on demand. What should we change to solve this timeout RDP??

thanks

Hello All,

I have a similar issue. Customer has Windows 2012 VM in Azure cloud. GlobalProtect run on VM. Once RDP session to VM get disconnected GlobalProtect disconnects as well. Is there the way to configure GlobalProtect to have agent connected even when RDP is disconnected?

Thank you in advance.

@sryazantse if you are running a VM in a cloud service you really shouldn't be running GlobalProtect to get that traffic tunneled back to your organization. Palo has released VM versions of the firewall to manage virtual enviroments that are really meant to be used in this type of situation; purchase one of those and have it tunnel back to your office and link them together like that. 

I won't say that what you are doing isn't possible with the right configuration, but it's one of those things that while it's possible, it really shouldn't be done as it's not really supported at all and you are not going to have a great experiance. 

edit: To add a little bit to this you can check the same link that I just posted. Unlike with other VPN clients GlobalProtect is very much aware that somebody else has taken over the remote client and you need to authenticate, likewise when you disconnect it again registers that the user has changed and will ask the user to reauthenticate. What you are trying to do would be better suited for a IPSec VPN tunnel if you are trying to get that VM to stay connected to your network. Directions can be found HERE, again I would really recommend that you install the VM series for Azure and get something to not only protect access to that VM but tie all future VM deployments into your network and protect/connect them like that. 

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/products/secure-the-network/virtualized-next-generation-firewall/vm...

@soporteseguridad sorry I must have missed that you have ever responded. Check this link, it describes what you are running into and will describe how you can adjust the grace period in your agent. 

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/70/pan-os/newfeaturesguide/globalprotect-features/rdp...

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!