Tacacs+ Cisco ISE config

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Tacacs+ Cisco ISE config

L3 Networker
Does anyone know how to configure the cisco ISE side? We can use tacacs now to access the gui but only local usernames and passwords work when trying to access the CLI using SSH. Does anyone have a complete cisco ISE setup? I found a guide to set up palo alto on the cisco ACS platform but ACS is end of life.
22 REPLIES 22

L4 Transporter

What are the settings in your admin role? Do they include CLI?

L0 Member

I just got TACACS+ working with my ISE deployment.  Here are the steps:

1) Configure your PA Firewall following these steps: https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/8-0/pan-os-admin/authentication/configure-tacacs-authentica...

***Important Note #1: In step 4 of this document it specifies a role.  You can use a prebuilt or a custom role, but it is critical you note the name in order to for ISE to reference the VSA configuration in your shell profile.

2) I had already configured TACACS+ device administration on my ISE deployment, so check the admin guide for those directions.

3) Add the PA firewall as a network resource on ISE.  Configure, IP, name pre-shared key, and check the TACACS+ as the protocol.  Create any Network Device Groups for reference in the policy.

4) Create a Palo Alto custom TACACS profile.  Reference this document: https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/8-0/pan-os-admin/authentication/authentication-types/tacacs...

For Custom Attributes you’ll need to make the type ‘MANDATORY’, use the requisite name in the document above and the Value is whatever role you specified in the note in step one on the PANOS > Device > Admin Roles. 

So an example of this would be:

TACACS Profile Custom Attribute

‘MANDATORY’ - ‘PaloAlto-Admin-Role’ - <insert firewall defined custom or default Admin Role>

5) Create a policy set that references your group of PA firewalls under conditions of the policy.  Choose your identity source for authentication.  For authorization, set your conditions and reference the shell profile in step 4. 

This allowed me to authenticate using AD via ISE TACACS+ based on existing identities in ISE and roles set on the Palo Alto Firewall. 

L0 Member

I also need to integrate PA with TACACS ISE. in our network ISE is integrated with AD. And Admin groups are defined there in AD. In PA i created admin role i.e Custom admin Role. i called the AD Groups in palo alto.  But user are failed to authenticate.

I kind of have this working, CLI works but GUI doesn't fully.
The PA configuration part is pretty straightforward. I've never gotten anything to work without having 'all' in the allow list in the auth profile.
For ISE, you need to create a custom Shell profile and create the necessary custom attribute that defines the role you want to assign on the PA.
The list of attributes is here: https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/8-0/pan-os-admin/authentication/authentication-types/tacacs...
So you could create a Shell profile with customer attrib of Type=MANDATORY, Name=PaloAlto-Admin-Role, Value=Superuser
Then create your authorization policy with your PA definitions and your AD group as conditions and apply the custom shell profile.

When I do this, an account not defined in the Administrators tab is able to log in to the CLI and do all Superuser tasks. For the GUI, the same logon shows successful in the PA logs but I just get sent back to the login page, no GUI access.
If I create the account in the Administrators tab and apply the specific tacacs policy to them, then everything works.

I've been meaning to open a ticket with TAC to address the GUI issue but haven't gotten to it yet. If I learn something from them, I'll update here.

I believe I have this working as expected now. The accounts we're using are not defined locally on the firewall, they just exist in AD.

When creating the Shell profile in ISE, I had to use 3 mandatory custom attributes:

service = PaloAlto

protocol = firewall

PaloAlto-Admin-Role = superuser (or whatever custom admin role you want to define on the firewall)

I have the tacacs authentication profile set in the authentication settings.

L1 Bithead

I managed to get this work and documented the whole process if anybody was interested. 

https://www.packetswitch.co.uk/configure-palo-alto-tacacs-authentication-against-cisco-ise/

I followed your article and can't passed authentication in policy set using activate directory.

22064 authentication method is not supported by any applicable identity store(s)

Anatoliy Pshenichnykh

Hi there,

So, do you have to  create the accounts and defined them locally on the firewall to get it work ?

Look at chart below, this is for Cisco ISE. Palo Alto only supports CHAP or PAP for authentication via RADIUS or TACACS+. In the chart, where it shows CHAP. ISE doesn't support LDAP. To answer your question, if you want to use TACACS then yes you would have to create accounts locally on ISE, but if you are already doing that then might as well create accounts locally on the Palo's with Authentication Profile to LDAP.

Protocol (Authentication Type)

Internal Database

Active Directory

LDAP

RADIUS Token Server or RSA

REST

ODBC

EAP-GTC, PAP (plain text password)

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

MS-CHAP password hash:

MSCHAPv1/v2

EAP-MSCHAPv2 (as inner method of PEAP, EAP-FAST, EAP-TTLS or TEAP)

LEAP

Yes

Yes

No

No

No

Yes

EAP-MD5

CHAP

Yes

No

No

No

No

Yes

EAP-TLS

PEAP-TLS

(certificate retrieval)

Note 

For TLS authentications (EAP-TLS and PEAP-TLS), identity sources are not required but can optionally be added for authorization policy conditions.

No

Yes

Yes

No

No

No

Anatoliy Pshenichnykh

No, you don't have to create the accounts locally on the firewall. You don't even need to use local accounts on the ISE as you can join AD to the ISE and then use the AD credentials to log in to the firewall. Are you having any issues? 

You can do that only if you are using PAP, but that will not work with CHAP. 

Anatoliy Pshenichnykh

I've used CHAP in this example - https://www.packetswitch.co.uk/configure-palo-alto-tacacs-authentication-against-cisco-ise/

(Step - 1 of the blog post)

Why can't we use CHAP instead of PAP as it more secure ?

L1 Bithead

This article is truly astounding. Appreciative for sharing.A commitment of appreciation is all together for the association, keep on sharing such an information.

• 22 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!