Using Regex in Cortex XDR XQL query

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Using Regex in Cortex XDR XQL query

L1 Bithead

I want to extract a particular string from a particular field value from the Cortex XDR endpoint category and use it in XQL query. Is it possible to do that?

For example from the below string (it is a field )

arn:aws:ec2:eu-abcd-1:123456789:instance/i-000000000000

I would like to extract the number 123456789 in an XQL query and use it to get the count of all the hosts which has the same value as 123456789.

How can I do that? 

Cortex XDR  Endpoint Protection

2 REPLIES 2

L3 Networker

Hi Kavurisowmya, 

Yes, you may. Vendor Logs ingested from some unsupported external data sources sent to Cortex XDR may not match the format of the data already present in XDR from other sources.  In this case, you can use additional XQL functions to transform the data within your custom parsing rules. Reference Ingest External Alerts • Cortex XDR Pro Administrator Guide • Reader • Palo Alto Networks documentat...

You may use regex to convert the fields to extract the data to facilitate matching with Cortex XDR format. For example, say you need to map the port but your source field contains both the IP address and port (192.168.1.200:8080). To extract everything after the :, use the following regex:

^[^:]*_

Here is an example with Zscaler logs where this statement performs a regular expression match on any group of characters except whitespace characters, the resulting array will then have each field in an index, and we can simply choose the array index that corresponds to the field we want to assign. 

String with a delimiter

dataset = zscaler_nsssaasfilelog_raw 

| fields _raw_log

| alter date = arrayindex(regextract(_raw_log, "[^\s]+"),0)

In the example, the 0th array index (recall that arrays are 0-indexed data structures, so the first value is stored at index 0) corresponds to the first value in the log format.

In your example the delimiter is : so you will need to pull selected value for the regex to pull the data values you would like to extract. 

Reference

If you found this answer helpful, please like and select Accept as Solution. 

Thank you!

If you found this answer helpful, please select Accept as Solution.

L4 Transporter

Hi there,

I love regex, but don't have any experience with XQL, but I think the bit of code you are looking for is:

| alter uid = arrayindex(regextract(_raw_log, "(\S+?:){4}(\d+)"),2)

...assuming regextract returns an array with three elements: the match and two groups. Hence you want the second group at index '2'.

https://regex101.com/r/24tFJl/1

cheers,

Seb.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!