Validation Error for device and networks. Commit failed

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Validation Error for device and networks. Commit failed

L2 Linker

We have deployed PA-VM (10.1) from Azure marketplace. We are in the process of getting the device registered.

It is at its initial config i.e. only created two eth interfaces, 2 nat rules, 1 VR with two static routes and 1 policy allow all.

However, we cannot commit this config. Getting error below.

We have not used DHCP for the Eth interfaces.

Only DHCP showing is for the management interface that we tried to change to static from CLI but no luck.

Also, noticed that in Management Interface Settings, most of the settings are missing. Screenshot below.

Please help.

CommitError.PNGMGMT settings.PNG

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L4 Transporter

Hi

Please differentiate between interface management profile - these are assigned to ETH1/x (and this is what you screenshot)- and the out-of-band MGMT interface configuration under device->setup-Interfaces. The latter has less configuration options.

The following command will set the firewall to DHCP on the management interface:
'set deviceconfig system type dhcp-client accept-dhcp-hostname no accept-dhcp-domain no send-hostname no send-client-id no'

so I think some of these dhcp-options are un-set (neither yes or no) hence the errors.

Additionally if I recall correctly - the firewall should be set to DHCP and Azure will set it's mgmt/eth IPs.

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/vm-series/10-1/vm-series-deployment/set-up-the-vm-series-firewall-...

Shai

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

L4 Transporter

Hi

These errors are for the Management Interface: Device -> Setup -> Interfaces -> Management.

Try to place a check mark on the send client id box, click 'ok' and commit again.

Another option is to do a full commit instead of a partial one as it is possible that the above change was already made but not by your username (azadmin).

Shai

Hi @ShaiW 

Thank you so much for your super speedy response.

I have ticked the send client id box and also performed a full commit but no luck.

Operation
Commit
Status
Completed
Result
Failed
Details
Partial changes to commit: changes to configuration by administrators: azadmin
Changes to configuration in device and network
Validation Error:
deviceconfig -> system -> type -> dhcp-client is missing 'send-client-id'
deviceconfig -> system -> type -> dhcp-client is invalid
Commit failed

Pls help!

Hi @ShaiW,

In addition to this, when I selected Validate commit, it showed errors that I need to select 'Accept DHCP server provided Hostname' and Accept DHCP server provided Domain'. Commit was successful after this. I tried selecting 'Send Client ID but it changes back to being unticked.

Could you pls advise the following?

1. Do the two boxes 'Accept DHCP server provided Hostname', 'Accept DHCP server provided Domain' need to be selected?

We have other two PA-VMs (same type) but these are not ticked there.

2. Why parts of Management Interface Settings are missing? Screenshot added to my original post.

3. Why MGT IP Address is not changing to Static? I tried from CLI.

Thanks in advance

L4 Transporter

Hi

Please differentiate between interface management profile - these are assigned to ETH1/x (and this is what you screenshot)- and the out-of-band MGMT interface configuration under device->setup-Interfaces. The latter has less configuration options.

The following command will set the firewall to DHCP on the management interface:
'set deviceconfig system type dhcp-client accept-dhcp-hostname no accept-dhcp-domain no send-hostname no send-client-id no'

so I think some of these dhcp-options are un-set (neither yes or no) hence the errors.

Additionally if I recall correctly - the firewall should be set to DHCP and Azure will set it's mgmt/eth IPs.

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/vm-series/10-1/vm-series-deployment/set-up-the-vm-series-firewall-...

Shai

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!