Rekey causes VPN tunnel to stop sending network traffic

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Rekey causes VPN tunnel to stop sending network traffic

L1 Bithead
Hello everybody, I'm having a weird issue with VPNs between a Palo Alto Cloud Firewall (PanOS9.1.3h) and Cisco Meraki Z3.All VPN Tunnels are established propely, but after a random period of time during the rekey step, a tunnel stays online, but network traffic can't be send anymore. We are currently having 5 of these connections with the same issues. 
I was able to capture a log, but I'm not able to troubleshoot it. Did some anonymization, see link attached. LOG 
On the Meraki site/log, you can see the there are two steps happening repeatedly on a working tunnel.

inbound CHILD_SA
outbound CHILD_SA

At the time the error occurs, the outbound step is missing.
Any ideas?

Here are the tunnel settings IKEv2

On Palo side

IPSec Crypto profile

IPSec Protocol ESP

DH group 2

LT 1h

Encryption aes-256-gcm/cbc

Authentication

sha256

IKW Crypto profile

DH Group

group2

Encryption

aes-256-cbc

Authentication

sha 256

Key LT 8h

IKEv2 Authentication Multiple 5

On Meraki side

Phase1

Encryption

AES 256

Authentication

SHA256

Pseudo-random Function

Defaults to Authentication

Diffie-Hellman group

Lifetime (sec)

Phase2

Encryption

AES 256

Authentication

SHA256

PFS group

Liftime (sec)

Palo Alto IKE GW Options

Passive mode Enabled

NAT-T Enabled

Advanced Option

Strict Cookie Validation turned off

Liveness Check

Interval (sec) 5

2 REPLIES 2

L1 Bithead

Thought I'd reach out to see if you resolved this issue.  We are encountering something similar between a Palo VM500 running 10.2.6 and a Juniper SRX.  It appears on soft ipsec rekey that the Palo renews the SA and the Palo continues to use it, but the Juniper also creates a new SA (which the Palo sees and accepts) the Juniper uses this ipsec SA.  Hence dropping network traffic.  Would appreciate any thoughts you have.

Hi Jake,

we ended up applying the latest firmware to both sides which stabilized the traffic. After updating we got rid off the hanging tunnels.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!