Log Forwarding

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

Log Forwarding

L2 Linker

I have setup Syslog forwarding from multiple firewalls to a log collector, but I cannot see any Syslog traffic in the logs. Does this traffic get logged by the firewall/Panorama, or is it allowed through without needing a firewall policy?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello @CraigAddison

for Traffic, Threat, URL, Data Filtering, WildFire,...logs you have to enable Log Forwarding profile under each security policy. This type of log gets generated depending on log type when for example security policy is getting hit, threat signature is getting hit, there is a URL category match. As long as you have: "Log at Session End" enabled and a Log Forwarding profile in place with Panorama set as destination, logs will be sent to Panorama's log collector. Here is corresponding KB: https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/kcSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClGL

For System, Configuration, User-ID... logs, you can configure it from Device > Log Settings. This log will get forwarded to Panorama's log collector as it gets generated on Firewall. Since this log type is not traffic dependent even passive Firewall will generated some system logs.

If you do not see logs in Panorama, I would recommend to go through this KB: https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/kCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClXA

I would check below points:

- Make sure that Firewall is assigned to log collector and this change has been committed and pushed to log collector.

- Make sure that on Firewall side from CLI: "show log-collector preference-list" you will see log collectors IP addresses. I had a case before that this was not applied until I restarted management process.

- Make sure you will see the log received in Panorama from CLI: show logging-status device <serial number>.

- Make sure that Firewall and Panorama are using the same time/time zone.

- Make sure there are no restrictions/blocked ports between Firewall and log collector.

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello @CraigAddison

for Traffic, Threat, URL, Data Filtering, WildFire,...logs you have to enable Log Forwarding profile under each security policy. This type of log gets generated depending on log type when for example security policy is getting hit, threat signature is getting hit, there is a URL category match. As long as you have: "Log at Session End" enabled and a Log Forwarding profile in place with Panorama set as destination, logs will be sent to Panorama's log collector. Here is corresponding KB: https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/kcSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClGL

For System, Configuration, User-ID... logs, you can configure it from Device > Log Settings. This log will get forwarded to Panorama's log collector as it gets generated on Firewall. Since this log type is not traffic dependent even passive Firewall will generated some system logs.

If you do not see logs in Panorama, I would recommend to go through this KB: https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/kCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClXA

I would check below points:

- Make sure that Firewall is assigned to log collector and this change has been committed and pushed to log collector.

- Make sure that on Firewall side from CLI: "show log-collector preference-list" you will see log collectors IP addresses. I had a case before that this was not applied until I restarted management process.

- Make sure you will see the log received in Panorama from CLI: show logging-status device <serial number>.

- Make sure that Firewall and Panorama are using the same time/time zone.

- Make sure there are no restrictions/blocked ports between Firewall and log collector.

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.
  • 1 accepted solution
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!