cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Netflix issue

L2 Linker

Good day,

Just got off a meeting with one of our users. We have a standing policy wherein Netflix is blocked within the campus premises. We explicitly created a rule to block all banned applications right on top of the security policy stack, netflix amongst them. Rule had been in place for more than a year.

It was reported that users were still able to access netflix.com(splash page). Weird thing is, when we received the ticket and tested, netflix.com could no longer be accessed. User doesn't watch Netflix, so we've ruled out possible browser caching.

i already checked, nobody made any changes that could possibly affect Netflix access. The logs also show that netflix-base is being blocked, and i am getting a blank list when i search for 'app eq netflix'.

Sadly i cannot reproduce the behavior, as Netflix is being blocked elsewhere in our campuses.

Taking the ticket details as is, What other possibilities are there that Netflix could be allowed, yet not logged on the firewall? Am guessing that somehow, for a split second, the firewall may have failed to identify Netflix traffic.

Any ideas? For now, we've added .netflix.com/ and *.netflix.com/ into our URL filtering block list.  Thanks

1 REPLY 1

L6 Presenter

Hi @itassetbenilde 

Can you check the old timeframe logs when Netflix was allowed? Those logs would help to identify why it got allowed. There might be chances someone browse the URL only from web-browser and it matched the traffic in web-browser app category. I am just telling you possibility. So to confirm it, past allowed traffic logs would actually help here.

M
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!