Suspected Credential Phishing Detected

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

Suspected Credential Phishing Detected

L1 Bithead

Hi!

Users connecting to our network via VPN receive "Suspected Credential Phishing Detected" when attempting to log into our in-house equipment reservation webpage. The URL filtering log indicates a blocked URL action on category "government".   I've tried to adjust the group profile item in the associated rule for the "government" category from "block" to "continue" or "allow" but it doesn't seem to matter.

Any insight is welcome!

Thanks! 

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Community Team Member

Hi @BrianMacha ,

Can you verify the category of your in-house website? I would go to Monitor -> Logs -> URL Filtering and find the traffic with the destination being the in-house website. Verify that the "credential theft detected" is set to yes and the category that is associated with it. Once the category is verified, you can go into the url filtering profile applied to your policy and set credential theft detection to not block the category associated with your in-house website. 

If that doesn't work,  you can enter the domain into a whitelist. Whitelisting the site will bypass URL-filtering thus not being checked for credentials. 

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Jay
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Community Team Member

Hi @BrianMacha ,

Can you verify the category of your in-house website? I would go to Monitor -> Logs -> URL Filtering and find the traffic with the destination being the in-house website. Verify that the "credential theft detected" is set to yes and the category that is associated with it. Once the category is verified, you can go into the url filtering profile applied to your policy and set credential theft detection to not block the category associated with your in-house website. 

If that doesn't work,  you can enter the domain into a whitelist. Whitelisting the site will bypass URL-filtering thus not being checked for credentials. 

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Jay
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Thanks for the reply, Jay.

I'd like to add that users in-house/local are able to access the website without issue.  The rule associated with in-house user access utilizes the same URL filtering profile as the rule that is utilized for the VPN users (except the VPN users are given the Suspected Credential... message).  It is as if there's something beyond the the Actions|Profile Setting in the VPN rule that's overriding everything.

Another thing I noticed in the URL Filtering log is that "credential detected" is "no" and source user is blank for entries in which there is successful interaction with the website by in-house/local users.  For VPN users, "credential detected" is "yes" and "source user" is occupied by the full username.

Thanks!

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

If the website is internal to your company, eg inside your network. Do Not perform URL filtering.

Regards,

L1 Bithead

I ended up whitelisting the site in the URL filtering profile.

Thanks for the help!

-Brian M.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!