Updating password with XML API for Palo Alto firewall user.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Updating password with XML API for Palo Alto firewall user.

L1 Bithead

I have a physical firewall and want to change the password on an admin by the use of XML API.

I have followed the guide from

How to Change the Password of Administrative Users via XML API - Knowledge Base - Palo Alto Networks

and everything works and ends with success. However, when I try to login with the new password it does not work. And neither does the old password. I checked the config file and the phash is under the correct user.

What is wrong and how do i fix it?

6 REPLIES 6

Community Team Member

Hi @ThomasEikeland ,

If you are still unable to login with a new or old password can you try booting into maintenance mode? Once booted into maintenance mode, select a previous running-config where you were able to login. 

How to Reset the Administrator Password

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Jay
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

After changing the password, did you perform a commit to apply the changes?

Regards,

Yeah, commited succesfully!

Hi, late reply but it is of no consequence if i lose the user. It is just a test user. The problem is that the code runs succesfully and says that the password is updated, but then not the new or old one works. so my question is, is there som reason this happens or does it simply not work to do it this way?

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

Do you have the following setting applied in your device config?

Device tab -> Setup -> Management -> 'Minimum Password Complexity' -> Require Password Change on First Login checked?

OtakarKlier_0-1670013442218.png

If yes then this is why it only works once. When getting the API 'password' turn these features off first.

Hope this helps.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Also if you have the 'Required Password Change Period" enabled, you will need to change your API keys before they expire.

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!