What is hidden locally on a device when being managed by Panorama?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

What is hidden locally on a device when being managed by Panorama?

L6 Presenter

When you configure a PA device to be managed by Panorama the first thing that (when you login through web-gui directly to the managed device) goes away is the contents of running-config.xml regarding address objects and security policies.

These settings can instead be obtained by login through CLI/SSH and run "show config pushed".

But what about PANOS version, Appid db, Threat (IPS/AV) db etc?

I mean can I trust the output of web-gui when login directly to the managed device and watch which versions are active of OS/AV/IPS etc or do I have to login to the Panorama to be sure whats actually being runned?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L4 Transporter

You can always trust what is being shown in the UI for objects, policies, content versions, etc. The question is just where the configuration lives. Panorama config lives, from a CLI perspective, in a separate place than the "running" configuration, although it is technically part of the dataplane config once a Panorama config push succeeds.

'show config running' does not include Panorama pushed config and is only device config

'show config pushed' shows Panorama only config and no device config

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

L4 Transporter

in GUI you see the resulted push of local+Panorama Objects.

In addition, in all menus (especially Objects ones) you see if objects are 'local' or 'Panorama' (column Location).

Over here we always connect to local appliances because Panorama switching context is so slow. We connect to Panorama only to edit global objects that should be broadcasted to all appliances.

4.1.7 and 4.1.8 have improvements to context switching speeds. Have you tested with these SW versions?

5.0 has even faster context switching improvements that we would recommend investigating.

We are interested in investigating the slowness if you want to open a case with support.

L4 Transporter

You can always trust what is being shown in the UI for objects, policies, content versions, etc. The question is just where the configuration lives. Panorama config lives, from a CLI perspective, in a separate place than the "running" configuration, although it is technically part of the dataplane config once a Panorama config push succeeds.

'show config running' does not include Panorama pushed config and is only device config

'show config pushed' shows Panorama only config and no device config

I just tested :  55 seconds on Chrome, 120 seconds with IE  on 4.1.9

On my big 5050 which holds 300 rules, it won't even load the context (Loading context forever).

So no it's not better :smileygrin:

I will open a ticket as you requested : I was told by PAN people in the past wait for it to get better, didn't know you wanted a special feedback

Ok, so if the local PA device says "0" as threat db version in the gui I can trust this (which would mean that this device never got any threat db deployed)?

Correct

• 1 accepted solution
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!