API Commit for user specific changes

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

API Commit for user specific changes

L4 Transporter

It looks like it is only possible to do full commit using API, which is not ideal on a production panorama, because it will commit the changes of all other users. 

When I create the changes and login using the API username, then I can commit the user specific changes, but not using an API call. 

Am I missing something? How can I commit only the changes made by the API user?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L5 Sessionator
from panos import Panorama, PanoramaCommit

admin_list = ['admin1', 'admin2']
pano = Panorama('127.0.0.1', 'admin', 'secret')
command = PanoramaCommit('Commit for just these admins', admins=admin_list)

pano.commit(command)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

L4 Transporter

Can someone help?

L5 Sessionator
from panos import Panorama, PanoramaCommit

admin_list = ['admin1', 'admin2']
pano = Panorama('127.0.0.1', 'admin', 'secret')
command = PanoramaCommit('Commit for just these admins', admins=admin_list)

pano.commit(command)

L4 Transporter

@gfreeman Thank you, I wasn't aware of the feature. I think there is a bug in preventing from working (at least on the version I am testing with), but this looks like a bug on the Panorama side.

L5 Sessionator

Hi @batd2, per-admin commit was released in 8.0 (https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/8-0/pan-os-release-notes/pan-os-8-0-release-information/fea...) for reference.

Help the community: "Like" helpful comments, and click "Accept as Solution" if you found your answer 🙂

L4 Transporter

@JimmyHolland it does not seem to work in API (at least not in 9.1). I still get full commit, even if the admin is specified, but I guess it is some sort of bug behaviour and good to know the feature is there. 

@batd2 Which version of 9.1 are you using for Panorama?

Help the community: "Like" helpful comments, and click "Accept as Solution" if you found your answer 🙂

L5 Sessionator

This works for me on 9.1.14:

https://{{host}}/api/?key={{key}}&type=commit&action=partial&cmd=<commit><partial><admin><member>{{admin}}</member></admin><device-group><member>{{device-group-name}}</member></device-group><no-template/><no-template-stack/><device-and-network>excluded</device-and-network><shared-object>excluded</shared-object></partial></commit>

L4 Transporter

@JimmyHolland Also on 9.1.14, but for me the above does full commit - the changes of all users are committed and not only of the specified user. 

Strange, it works fine for me, commits only the changes for the {{admin}} administrator specified. Can you share your API call @batd2?

L4 Transporter

@JimmyHolland It is working with the API call and using the SDK. Sorry, I must have been testing it previously with different PanOS version or I am not sure what was wrong. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 10 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!