Block SSH traffic

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Block SSH traffic

L1 Bithead

We are using PA 5250 firewalls. We are not using decryption on it.

Now, we want to filter the ssh traffic satisfying all these 2 conditions:

C1) Allow access to  *.mywebsite.com  for ssh traffic AND allow file download upload

C2) Allow access to abc.xzy.zom and jkl.efg.com for ssh traffic AND NOT allow file transfers

Because we are not using decryption, using URL category in Security policy is not working. (even though certificate is published with subject *.mywebsite.com)

So what I did was,

1) To satisfy C1, I created a URL category with *.mywebsite.com. Then I used it in URL Filtering profile and allowed only the above category. I set action of all other categories to block. And allowed file transfer.

This worked.

2) But to satisfy condition of C2, I  created simple fqdn objects and put the rule for C2 above the rule for C1. And blocked file transfers. 

Is my approach right? If yes, then it means that I have to keep track of any future rules for ssh and they need to go above rule for C1 ? 

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@ADandekar,

What you did will work perfectly fine. Since the rules are targeted, any new rules regarding SSH will just need to go above whatever is denying SSH access. In the event that you would need to allow someone access to file transfers to the domains you have listed in C2, the new rule would simply need to go above your C2 entry to facilitate that access. 

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!