Decryption issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Decryption issue

L4 Transporter

We have outbound decryption working but there are few sites that popup that donot work from time to time and have to add the to exceptions.

I am trying to investigate a recently highlighted website and to learn how to troubleshoot this better.

If I run this openssl command connection on the client is successful and wireshark output looks like this and client sees server hello.

-----------------------------------------------

.\openssl s_client -connect windowstechpro.com:443 -brief
depth=3 DC = ca, DC = abcdef, DC = abc, CN = ABC DEF - Root CA
verify error:num=19:self signed certificate in certificate chain
CONNECTION ESTABLISHED
Protocol version: TLSv1.2
Ciphersuite: ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256
Peer certificate: CN = *.windowstechpro.com
Hash used: SHA256
Signature type: RSA
Verification error: self signed certificate in certificate chain
Server Temp Key: ECDH, P-384, 384 bits

-----------------------------------------------

image.png

but on PA capture looks like this.

image.png

When trying to open the website in browser in firefox it shows PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR & in chrome "windowstechpro.com unexpectedly closed the connection."

On client wireshark shows like this and client never receives a server hello.

image.png

Firewall still looks the same

image.png

Profile settings

image.pngimage.png

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello there.

Suggestions I have (not that I am fixing issue, but trying to understand what can/cannot be done)

Go into your Decryption Profile and set the TLS to 1.2 to 1.2 (and not MAX)

While in the profile (for tshooting only), uncheck the 3 checkmarks/boxes under Server Certificate Verification.

You should also look at the Traffic Logs for that specific session and provide the End Session Reason (was it tcp-reset-server or client, threat, decryption error, etc).

We need more information.  It is possible that the site just cannot be decrypted and needs to have an exception generated for it.  There are some limitations to how the server certificates are generated (think certificate key pinning or hair pinning) that could generate similar results.

Good luck and let us know.

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello there.

Suggestions I have (not that I am fixing issue, but trying to understand what can/cannot be done)

Go into your Decryption Profile and set the TLS to 1.2 to 1.2 (and not MAX)

While in the profile (for tshooting only), uncheck the 3 checkmarks/boxes under Server Certificate Verification.

You should also look at the Traffic Logs for that specific session and provide the End Session Reason (was it tcp-reset-server or client, threat, decryption error, etc).

We need more information.  It is possible that the site just cannot be decrypted and needs to have an exception generated for it.  There are some limitations to how the server certificates are generated (think certificate key pinning or hair pinning) that could generate similar results.

Good luck and let us know.

@SCantwell_IM I had not done basic troubleshooting and straightaway went for packet captures. Couple of websites I know that were recently highlighted both worked after I broadened the scope of TLS and set minimum to 1.1 with less preferable algorithms.

I still want to ask what was the rational behind behind suggesting to set max version to 1.2 instead of max, doesn't both mean the same as 1.3 is not supported.

image.png

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

So, what I understand, based on your settings, is that you have Users or Servers on the internet, that are not following the recommended patch releases to deprecate TLS 1.1 and lower.   In Feb/March 2020, the 3 big browser companies (Microsoft, Mozilla, Google) agreed to DEPRECATE support for TLS 1.0 and 1.1.    Today's modern browsers support TLS 1.2 and 1.3. 

You have run into a situation where the WEBSITE on the Internet is NOT TLS 1.2.  It seems to not have been patched to deprecate support for TLS 1.0 and 1.1.  So you needed to modify your security configuration to allow 1.1. 

You should create 2 decryption profiles.  One that support TLS 1.2 to 1.2, and then other one, for this specific destination server, to use this (not recommended) profile of TLS 1.1.

As for my suggestion about TLS 1.3  As I just explained.. the FW CAN support TLS 1.3... but if the Website does NOT.. then you will have problems with decryption, because of TLS mismatch.   TLS 1.3 can be backward compatible to TLS 1.2.  So... on the off chance a TLS 1.3 server talks to to a TLS 1.2 end point, your FW can allow the traffic.  It is just a recommendation from PANW.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!