How to get a historical graph of Qos Statistics

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How to get a historical graph of Qos Statistics

L1 Bithead

I have PAN 8.0.2 and  I would like to get a historical graph  of  the  diferents class in the interfaces  where I have applied QoS .

I do not if  I can  do that  with  PA3020 o I need  a syslog server to do it. 

what do you suggest me ?

QoS.JPG

11 REPLIES 11

L7 Applicator
Hi @javier.brito

Unfortunately out of the box there is now way to view QoS statistics. Maybe today there are other methods but 1.5 years ago I wrote powershell script which could be used with PRTG Traffic Monitoring. Thats the way how I solved this problem: https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Automation-API-Discussions/QoS-Monitoring-for-PRTG-Network-Moni...

Cheers,
Remo

@Remo in your description it says " I have written a little script" 😄

It is huge and well done. I wish someone can explain to me how to do it as well as using API futures.

@TranceforLife

Explain how to use the monizoring script or scripting/API in general?

Thanks. As you said here 2 separate subjects: API on palo and scripting.

I am a noob when it comes to this so wonder if there is any good video training of articles on how to use API on Palo. What tool can l use to run these API request in auto mode?

A good start is here: https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/80/pan-os/xml-api

About the scripting part: here you can use what you want: Powershell, phyton, bashscripting, ... just something, you're comftable with.

There are also modules available which probably make the use of the API even easier (just modules I found, I did not test them):

- powershell: https://github.com/brianaddicks/poweralto2

- phyton: https://github.com/kevinsteves/pan-python

But to begin I think the best way is simply to follow the steps as described here: https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/80/pan-os/xml-api/get-started-with-the-pan-os-xml-api

- enable API access

- get API key

- do your first query

- api browser

After that with a little knowledge of a scripting / programming language your prepared for writing your own scripts.

And for every problem you run into with your chosen language, remember: google is your friend, because most likely others already had the same or similar problems 😉

Thanks, man. I definitely will check. lt just looks scary for me 😄

As l said l have no exposure to any scripting language or API 

Powershell is just easy to use on windows. You get  good results even with little knowledge.

Idid not search any links bot proably there are beginners guides for all languages.

I don't think I'm really good at it but before I started using powershell specially in combination with PA API my "programming skills" were HTML 😄

What also really helps when your a little familiar with a language, search for simple sample scripts and try to understand them

@TranceforLife,

I wouldn't be to affraid of making any mistakes in the API, you still need to commit the changes so test really whatever you want and then see if it actually worked as intended. 

* API is just like CLI, so if you make a change that wouldn't require a commit in cli then this still gets activated if ran through as an API request. 

I was able to run few show commands against our lab firewall, not a problem here. Do you guy know any good automated tool so l can schedule API requests?

Windows: powershellscript (or almost anything else) which you schedule with the integrated task scheduler

Linux: bashscripts (or almost anything else) which you can schedule as cron job

L7 Applicator

Now again (at least shortly) back to topic: as I wrote out of the box there is unfoftunately no possibility for viewing QoS history.

After some searching without any useful results I think there really is no other possibillity (if someone knows more, please correct me because I am interessted too) than the following ones:

• Stay with the real time statistics
  • Create your own QoS monitoring by getting results from the API
  • Use my script in combination with PRTG or change it in order to use it with your monitoring software (if you change it for other software, please share it also in the PaloAlto Live community)
  • 11 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!