Import of SSL-TLS-cert failed. Mismatched public and private keys.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Import of SSL-TLS-cert failed. Mismatched public and private keys.

L1 Bithead

We are adding a new Web Server certificate for portal validation in our brand new firewall. 

We created the CSR in the Firewall and exported it to sign it with GoDaddy CA. 

Once we download the bundle from GoDaddy we extracted the root, intermediate, and server certificate in Base64 format.

We can import the root and intermediate without any problems and we can see Root \_ Intermediate right below the Pending CSR.

However when we are trying to import the server certificate we get an error: Import of SSL-TLS-cert failed. Mismatched public and private keys.

JorgeOrtega_0-1644162873316.png

SSL-TLS-cert is the name of the file, however we found documentation that indicates to use the name of the CSR file to import this last certificate, and in other use the name of the file that we exported initially. 

This last one worked, however the "pending" CSR doesn't go away. 

JorgeOrtega_1-1644162904504.png

As you can see even when the server certificate was successfully imported to the chain, it is not taking the private key and removing the pending CSR Digi-RSA at the top that contains the private key.

Any ideas on how to properly import a third party CA to the Firewall?

Thanks in advance and have a great day.

Jorge.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@JorgeOrtega,

When you generate the CSR it needs to be the name that you actually want to use for the server certificate going forward, as you will need to use that same name when you import the server certificate to "tie" the private key to the certificate in question. Your Root and Intermediate certificates it doesn't matter, you don't have a private key to associate with that so you're just doing a normal certificate import. 

From your screenshot you didn't import the server certificate with the same name of the original CSR (Digi-RSA), so the firewall doesn't know to tie the private key to the imported server certificate. Re-import the server certificate with the exact same name as the original CSR. In your screenshot where you were "successful" in importing the certificate on the firewall is missing the private key because it wasn't imported with the proper name. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

L4 Transporter

I had issues with importing certs as well. Using Firefox instead of Chrome fixed the issue for me.

Did you have exactly the same error about "Import of certificates failed. Mismatched public and private keys".

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @JorgeOrtega ,

Unless you are hitting a bug, the firewall is telling you that the public and private keys do not match.  Is there a chance that a different CSR was uploaded to GoDaddy than the one on your firewall?  You can go to this site -> https://www.sslshopper.com/certificate-key-matcher.html to verify that the CSR on the firewall matches the cert you have imported.

Thanks,

Tom

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@JorgeOrtega,

When you generate the CSR it needs to be the name that you actually want to use for the server certificate going forward, as you will need to use that same name when you import the server certificate to "tie" the private key to the certificate in question. Your Root and Intermediate certificates it doesn't matter, you don't have a private key to associate with that so you're just doing a normal certificate import. 

From your screenshot you didn't import the server certificate with the same name of the original CSR (Digi-RSA), so the firewall doesn't know to tie the private key to the imported server certificate. Re-import the server certificate with the exact same name as the original CSR. In your screenshot where you were "successful" in importing the certificate on the firewall is missing the private key because it wasn't imported with the proper name. 

BPry you got it right. I tried in another firewall and after several testing I could import it using the same name. I couldn't find anything related about this "must match" name in the regular Palo documentation but in one from a CA.

Thank you so much.

Jorge. 

Thanks Tom. I think this also could match a bug but the fact that I could do it on mine tells me that it might be a process error. I will follow what I did on my firewall and if that doesn't work then I will know it is a bug.

Thanks.

Jorge.

Importing the signed certificate with the same name as the CSR does not work. It results in a mismatched public/private key error message. Only when importing the signed certificate with the name "cert_" prefixed to the name will it work. For example, when exporting the CSR, Panorama adds "cert_" to the front of the name. So the filename is cert_MyCert.csr. When importing the signed certificate, if you use 'MyCert' it fails. If you use 'cert_MyCert' it succeeds, but the Key checkbox remains unchecked and the CSR remains in 'pending' state.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!