Monitor incoming and outgoing network traffic

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Monitor incoming and outgoing network traffic

L0 Member

We are going to switch over to a new CRM system Monday that will be hosted in the cloud.  I am wanting to monitor the network traffic to see what the increase is once we switch over and where there are any bottlenecks.  Can someone tell me how to setup this tyupe of monitring on a Palo Alto device?  I have a PA-3020

Thanks

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L5 Sessionator

Hello StGregorys,

You can run the following commands to get a general know-how about the amount of traffic flowing through the PA500

> show running resource-monitor week <1-13>              // Gives you the dataplane usage in terms of  last (1-13) week/s

> show session info                                                      // Gives the current snapshot of session table utilization

> show system statistics                                                 // Gives you the real time usage in terms of throughput and packet rate

Now you can also gather some useful information through the WebUI, under ACC tab where you can sort by sessions/ bytes and also set the time.

acc.PNG.png

You can also use the feature of App Scope under Monitor tab in WebUI to generate reports for bandwidth usage.

Another way to gather information from the PAN firewall would be to monitor it via SNMP and then run a report on the data using something like Splunk.

If SNMP is your preferred way, then I would recommend adopting one of the following templates to get statistics from your firewall

Cacti - Templates

Zabbix - Basic PA Host Template

Not to forget session monitoring using MRTG:

Session monitoring with MRTG

Hope the above recommendation is what you are looking for.

Thanks and regards,

Kunal Adak

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

L5 Sessionator

Hello StGregorys,

You can run the following commands to get a general know-how about the amount of traffic flowing through the PA500

> show running resource-monitor week <1-13>              // Gives you the dataplane usage in terms of  last (1-13) week/s

> show session info                                                      // Gives the current snapshot of session table utilization

> show system statistics                                                 // Gives you the real time usage in terms of throughput and packet rate

Now you can also gather some useful information through the WebUI, under ACC tab where you can sort by sessions/ bytes and also set the time.

acc.PNG.png

You can also use the feature of App Scope under Monitor tab in WebUI to generate reports for bandwidth usage.

Another way to gather information from the PAN firewall would be to monitor it via SNMP and then run a report on the data using something like Splunk.

If SNMP is your preferred way, then I would recommend adopting one of the following templates to get statistics from your firewall

Cacti - Templates

Zabbix - Basic PA Host Template

Not to forget session monitoring using MRTG:

Session monitoring with MRTG

Hope the above recommendation is what you are looking for.

Thanks and regards,

Kunal Adak

• 1 accepted solution
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!