Regex for Chromebook Username

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Regex for Chromebook Username

L0 Member

Hello all!

We have a little hiccup with our chromebook integration. The issue is, when a user logs in, the info is reporting to the PAN as "domain\john_smith". The PAN is setup to read users as "domain\john smith" so it tags the user incorrectly and applies the incorrect policies. 

Is there a way to use regex to parse the username and if an "_" is there, replace it with a white-space? I say "if" because our staff log in with "first-name last-name" (john smith), however students log in with first-initial last-name and sometimes a number (jsmith, kwilson3). Here is the syslog parse profile as it is now:

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 9.45.41 PM.png

Any help is much appreciated. We are also open to other methods that someone else might be using.

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@jcalzada,

I'm not sure if this is really going to be possible and still have everything work properly; but if it is you'll be looking at changing this Parse Profile to Regex instead of Field. Right now your simply telling the firewall which field corresponds to what the firewall is looking for, and it will read anything in-between that and the delimiter.

Switching to Regex you should be able to build out an expression like (a-zA-Z0-9) which wouldn't allow the _ character to be accounted for. 

I will test this out, but in theory, if the "_" is there would it just leave an empty space in it's place? I'm just trying to get some better undestanding.

@jcalzada,

In theory since the _ isn't an allowed character it will be completely ignored; I don't beleive a ' ' would be inserted in it's place.

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!